Logining to Aero Core
g***@jetsoftdev.com
2016-04-07 03:53:40 UTC
Hi All,

I am trying to determine how to Login into the AeroCore to change the tone
that it is playing. I can't seem to find the documentation on how to do
this?

Where do I find this link?

Glen

Andrew C. Smith
2016-04-07 11:57:39 UTC
Hi Glen,

What version of AeroCore are you using (on the back side, what is the
PCB###vxx)? To access the NuttX console you plug in a micro-USB connector
near the long pin header. Depending on what version of AeroCore you're
using the port on your host computer will change.

We're putting some better documentation together, I'll make sure this is
included.

Thanks,

Andrew

Glen Wernersbach
2016-04-07 15:15:46 UTC
Andrew,

It is the AeroCore 2 For Duovero. You guys put a white sticker over the
PCB number should I take that off?

I can see a v18 on the end of it.

Some better documentation on how use the AeroCore would be good. The
reason I went with Gumstix over say the Beagles Rasberrys of the world was
for the possible functionality of the AeroCore.

Unfortunately, it is like a secret society black box for a newbie to make
use of it even thought it has extreme promise.

And all I want to do is something simple at first like turn off the tune
it keeps playing though the console.

Eventually, I would want a full program build that communicates with the
Duovero COM.

Glen
--
Glen Wernersbach View Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/GlenWernersbach>
Business, Innovation and Technical Consultant;

629 Old St Rt. 74 ­ Suite 210
Cincinnati, Oh 45244

513-240-9929
http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970763.htm
Andrew C. Smith
2016-04-20 01:34:20 UTC
Hi Glen,

The default software on the M4 is the PX4 software

http://dev.px4.io/ <http://dev.px4.io/>
https://github.com/PX4/Firmware <https://github.com/PX4/Firmware>
https://pixhawk.org/firmware/start <https://pixhawk.org/firmware/start>

There are lots of support forums for the PX4 firmware so we didn't want to
try and duplicate that. We try to respond to specific questions for the
AeroCore. We do have a hardware specific manual

http://media.gumstix.com/docs/brd30024.pdf
<http://media.gumstix.com/docs/brd30024.pdf>

That shows how to compile and load firmware. It lists the different
connectors on the board.

As for the tune, you can turn off the tune using hardware by either hitting
the button on the bottom side of the board or soldering between the test
points near by. In software, you can log into the console (plug into
micro-USB, open terminal to that port ... ttyACMx on Linux device @ 115200
baud) and use the "tone" command. Try different integer arguments, i.e
"tone 3".

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Andrew

Glen Wernersbach
2016-04-27 04:58:42 UTC
Andrew,

When I try to screen into my Aero Core 2 for Duvero. I get a blank screen:
screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200n8

When I try to upload firmware to it, it keeps giving this message:
attempting reboot on /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Gumstix_AeroCore_0-if00...
if the board does not respond, unplug and re-plug the USB connector

Not sure if the board id or software I download is correct for the Aero
Core 2 for Duvero, It appears it is ID 101 according to my usb info. But
here is what I see in the file:
{
"board_id": 98,
"magic": "AeroCore",
"description": "Firmware for the Gumstix AeroCore board",

Let me know.

Glen
--

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970770.htm
Andrew C. Smith
2016-04-27 12:37:52 UTC
Hi Glen,

With the AeroCore booted up (so LEDs not flashing) and the micro-USB plugged
in. When you run

and

what does it return?

Thanks,

Andrew

Glen Wernersbach
2016-04-27 15:44:32 UTC
When I run screen in those conditions it is blank.

--
Glen Wernersbach View Profile
Business, Innovation and Technical Consultant;
President and CEO
Jetsoft Development Co.
629 Old St. Rt. 74 - Suite 210
Cincinnati Ohio 45244
513-240-9929
www.JetsoftDev.com
acsmith
2016-04-27 16:19:55 UTC
I don't mean send those commands while you're using the screen function, I
mean run those commands from the Linux prompt (where you ran "screen
/dev/ttyACM0 115200"). I want to see what devices your computer is
reportedly seeing. I'm trying to see if the AeroCore firmware is operating
properly, if operating properly it should report an AeroCore device. The
fact that your "screen" command isn't giving an error when using
"/dev/ttyACM0" as an argument is promising.

Thanks,

Andrew

Glen Wernersbach

Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-02 01:59:29 UTC
Hi Glen,

I don't know why it doesn't show up in the email ... but I would suggest
using the web interface

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970783.html

2016-05-03 19:01:17 UTC
Andrew,

here is the output of the those commands:

***@RosettaConnector:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 26ac:0011
***@RosettaConnector:~# ls /dev/serial/by-id/
usb-Gumstix_AeroCore_0-if00
***@RosettaConnector:~#

Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-04 10:37:51 UTC
Hi Glen,

That looks good, the AeroCore is listed in the serial devices. What shows
up when you run the command

"ls /dev/ttyACM*"

Also, I noticed earlier in the thread that the command you're using for
communication looks a little off, you've got a couple of extra characters.
Try

"screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200"

Replace ttyACM* with whatever you get from the first command above. Also,
depending on the permissions on your system you may need to run the "screen"
command with root permissions (i.e. using "sudo" or "su"). One suggestion
if this is your issue is to fix the serial port permissions so that you
don't need root permissions.

http://websistent.com/fix-serial-port-permission-denied-errors-linux/
<http://websistent.com/fix-serial-port-permission-denied-errors-linux/>

Hope this helps,

Andrew

2016-05-05 14:31:46 UTC
Andrew,

Here is my output

***@RosettaConnector:~# ls /dev/ttyACM*
/dev/ttyACM0

When I run
screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200

I get a blank screen when trying to login to in the AeroCore.

I am open to this being a baud issue but tell me what to use.

I am root. I can change the port I am plug into and the command from the
same machine and screen into the Duovero COM so I know the machine is good.

Glen
--

***@jetsoftdev.com

From: "Andrew C. Smith [via Gumstix]" <ml-node+***@n6.nabble.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 6:37 AM
To: Glen Wernersbach <***@jetsoftdev.com>
Subject: Re: Logining to Aero Core

ls /dev/ttyACM*

1353295[1].png (54K) <Loading Image...>

Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-05 14:35:02 UTC
Hi Glen,

That's strange, everything sounds good. When you connect to the terminal
and hit ENTER a few times nothing comes on the screen?

Andrew

2016-05-05 14:43:29 UTC
Nothing!

--
Post by Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,
That's strange, everything sounds good. When you connect to the terminal and hit ENTER a few times nothing comes on the screen?
Andrew
http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970825.html
NAML
Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-05 15:03:57 UTC
Hi Glen,

Wow, very strange.

Have you tried reflashing the on-board firmware? The easiest way to do so
is the QGroundControl software
<https://github.com/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/releases/> . There's some
instructions for flashing the AeroCore 2 listed in section 6.2 of the
manual <http://media.gumstix.com/docs/brd30024.pdf> .

Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Andrew

Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-05 15:06:22 UTC
Baud rate of 115200 works fine but if memory serves, because it's a CDC-ACM
device, it makes no difference.

2016-05-05 15:20:35 UTC
Does it make any difference that the Id number 98 in the px4 firmware source does not match what I see as the USB id 101?

--
http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970832.html
Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-05 15:28:48 UTC
Where are you seeing USB ID = 101?

2016-05-05 21:15:15 UTC
Andrew,

My virtual box vm when I connect to the device says "Gumstix AeroCore
[0101]²

I was successfully able to download my build of the PX4 firmware that I got
from GIT on the same Linux VirtualBox VM. I did not download the boot
loader. I know the it did because my code changes turned off the dreaded
alarm tone. (My family and everyone in my office is excited.)

However, I still can¹t screen in via the console?

Are you sure we don¹t need to set something so this is a loginable console?

Still at a loss on how to login.

Glen
--
Glen Wernersbach

629 Old St Rt. 74 ­ Suite 210
Cincinnati, Oh 45244
513-240-9929
***@jetsoftdev.com

From: "Andrew C. Smith [via Gumstix]" <ml-node+***@n6.nabble.com>
Date: Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 11:28 AM
To: Glen Wernersbach <***@jetsoftdev.com>

Where are you seeing USB ID = 101?

below:
http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970837.html
To unsubscribe from Logining to Aero Core, click here
<http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_b
y_code&node=4970762&code=Z2xlbkBqZXRzb2Z0ZGV2LmNvbXw0OTcwNzYyfC0xODcwNzcyNzY
z> .
NAML
<http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&
id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNames
pace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeN
amespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails
%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-06 15:29:50 UTC
Hi Glen,

I still don't understand why you can see the NuttX prompt. I assume since
you're building your own image that you're using the "make aerocore_default
upload" command to flash via USB? Without seeing your code, it's possible
that your console isn't working because you turned off the console in the
init script. That is why I suggested you use one of our builds to test
because I know they all have a working console via USB.

Thanks,

Andrew

2016-05-06 17:05:03 UTC
Andrew,

I was using the Duovero factory installed software before.

No console.

I just down loaded the px4 Git master version from the instuctions in your manual, added one tone line, and downloaded it to the board.

No console.

Let first try it from another Linux machine first.

Glen

--
http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970848.html
Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-09 12:07:52 UTC
Hi Glen,

Definitely worth trying on a different computer, I recently spoke with
someone who had the same issue. They could connect to the /dev/ttyACM0
device but nothing was shown on the screen.

Andrew

Glen Wernersbach

Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-09 13:16:48 UTC
Hi Glen,

Not sure what you're asking here? You want me to "screen" in from the
DuoVero to the AeroCore? That's a completely different issue than what
we're talking about here. Can you please explain?

Thanks,

Andrew

2016-05-09 13:40:41 UTC
You said you were going to test my separate Duovero com Bluetooth issue on the same hardware and stable build.

While you are doing that you might as well see if you can screen into the Aero2core for Duovero.

P.s. My thought in all on both of these issues is it probably works for your developers on their dev build for this duovero hardware and the stable build works on other hardware like the Overo. I just should not have to be the one to have to figure out the real stable build for the Duovero.

--
Post by Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,
Not sure what you're asking here? You want me to "screen" in from the DuoVero to the AeroCore? That's a completely different issue than what we're talking about here. Can you please explain?
Thanks,
Andrew
http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970860.html
NAML
Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-09 14:22:31 UTC
Hi Glen,

I've never had a problem accessing any AeroCore 2 board console ... so
retesting it on my hardware isn't going to help you out at all.

With regards to your comment about stable builds ... All the AeroCore
firmware images (stable, beta and master) have been thoroughly tested (bench
+ flight tests). The DuoVero Yocto images are tested. Anything marked as
"stable" has been tested. It may not have the newest patches or fixes but
they do work (including Bluetooth). You are not the guinea pig, there are
many different factors that could be affecting your issues, I'm trying to
remove as many uncertainties as possible.

Thanks,

Andrew

2016-05-10 13:24:33 UTC
Andrew,

Very interesting. I can screen in to the Aero Core Console from a real
computer running basically the same Ubuntu OS but not from a Virtual Vox VM.
However, I can build and download to the Aero Core from that VM.

I can screen just find into the console of the Duovero Com from that same
VM.

Not optimal but at least it workable.

Glen

From: "Andrew C. Smith [via Gumstix]" <ml-node+***@n6.nabble.com>
Date: Monday, May 9, 2016 at 8:07 AM
To: Glen Wernersbach <***@jetsoftdev.com>

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970857.html

Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-10 14:01:05 UTC
Hi Glen,

I think I've seen that before. The console for the DuoVero uses an FTDI
chip, where as the console for the AeroCore is using a CDC-ACM driver
running on the M4 so that's likely the difference. I think I've
successfully used the AeroCore console on my VirtualBox Ubuntu machine.
Have you installed any extra USB packages/drivers for the virtual machine?
I believe different virtual machines call it something different but
VirtualBox calls it Guest Additions, are they up to date?

Andrew

Glen Wernersbach
2016-05-02 00:55:12 UTC
Andrew,

While I am waiting to figure out how to login, I am reading thought the
PX4 code for Aero 2 Core for Duovero.

What do you think is the minimum rate periodic rate that the combined
sensors could report update info and still have time to process their data?

The simple example shows a second which is way too big. A millisecond
would be great.

Just learning at this point.

Glen

Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-02 02:14:47 UTC
Hi Glen,

You want minimum rate? The standard PX4 setup polls the sensors at
different rates. The gyro is the fastest sensor, running around 800 Hz.
The other sensors are lower. I'm not sure what example you're talking about
but the EKF is running much faster than that. Very doubtful that it'll ever
reach 1 millisecond.

Andrew

Glen Wernersbach

Andrew C. Smith
2016-05-02 09:55:38 UTC
Hi Glen,

No, I think you're confusing the output data rate (ODR) with the i2c bus
speed (SPI is used on AeroCore because it's faster). The accelerometer runs
at about the same speed as the gyro and the compass is much slower.

http://www2.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/l3gd20h.pdf
<http://www2.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/l3gd20h.pdf>
http://www2.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/lsm303d.pdf